OpinionUP holds regular debates on current events and trending topics of interest every Tuesday at 8PM EST. Debate winners are selected by their fellow debate participants. The winner of this week’s debate “U.S. Immigration & Citizenship”, @discoursedaisy, is a legend on OpinionUP. By legend, we mean she’s participated in 5 debates and won every. single. one. See her second interview below.
1. What would you like to be known for?
I’d like to be known as someone who does everything she can do help other people and improve the American court system.
2. What’s the best piece of advice you ever received?
“Don’t take criticism from someone you wouldn’t go to advice for”
3. What would a perfect day look like for you?
Waking up, making breakfast for a family and then going to work. Work would be some politically minded job, possibly law, and I’d do good. I would be the best person that I could and try to make things better for people. Then I’d come home and I’d relax with my family.
4. Where do you get your news?
MSNBC, Forbes and a mix of CNN and Fox. (I always fact check, though)
5. What social stigma does society need to get over?
Maybe it’s just where I live, but in my area interracial marriage isn’t hugely popular. I’ve got a friend who was thrown out of her house for it!
6. What hobby have you always wanted to develop?
The violin! I’ve tried so many times but I think I’m just tone deaf.
7. If you had to flee the country, where would you choose to live?
Ireland, my father had some really close friends up there and I’ve always loved the country anyways.
8. What do you like being complimented on?
Probably my debating skills or speaking ability. Never been huge on my appearance.
9. How long would you last in a zombie apocalypse?
I’d like to say awhile. When I was thirteen me and my friends drew up this really comprehensive plan on how to survive. Still includes some good advice. (like setting up base in a Costco superstore)
10.What gets too much attention in the news?
Celebrity drama! I mean I enjoy a bit of gossip now and then but can we move over to talk about something important?
11. What do you miss most about being a kid?
Not having adult problems or worries. When I was a kid i wasn’t worried about the nuclear tension between America and North Korea.
12. Which of your personality traits has been the most useful?
I know it sounds narcissistic of me to say, but I’ve always felt I’ve had a certain charisma that really helps out.
13. What’s the most spontaneous thing you’ve ever done?
Ran for class President on a whim. I actually did that two days ago and I’m currently campaigning.
14. List two pet peeves.
Rudeness and slow walkers, definitely.
15. If you could invite 3 people, dead or alive, to a dinner party, who would they be, and why?
George Washington, because i’d love to hear about the founding of America and what was going through his head while he did it. Then probably Jesus, because who wouldn’t want to talk to their lord and savior? And maybe after that a passenger from the flight of MH370. I’ve always loved that mystery!
16. What’s your guilty pleasure?
The Chocolate Molten Lava cake from Chili’s!
17. What are you most afraid of?
Being alone. It’s always been a problem I’ve had since I had a really major friendship breakup with my best friend of five years, and I really didn’t have any friends afterward. Now I’ve got a ton of people I love and am friends with, but sometimes I’m still afraid they’ll leave.
18. Are there any topics you want to suggest for the future debates?
Maybe the ethics of gene editing. Sounds like it would be a fun debate.
Follow @discoursedaisy to engage in great debates!