OpinionUP holds regular debates on current events and trending topics of interest every Tuesday at 8PM EST. Debate winners are selected by their fellow debate participants. Get to know the winner of the debate, “Assisted Suicide & Euthanasia”: @discoursedaisy!
1. What’s your favorite topic to debate?
It changes often, I’ve loved debate from a young age. Usually it’s the ethics of purebred dog breeding, but currently it’s why Puerto Rico should either be set free or granted statehood.
2. What person do you most admire?
That’s such a hard question, but probably my mentor Kylee and my mother. Kylee has always been by my side and helping me with life and my mother has inspired my love for debate.
3. What is your biggest life goal?
To make child marriage illegal throughout the entire world. Did you know it’s legal to get married at any age with parental permission in some countries? Even in the United States!
4. What’s your favorite book?
So many, I could go on for hours! But probably Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
5. What is your ideal profession?
Politician, I want to make a real difference
6. What’s your favorite quote?
“I am no bird; and no net ensnares me: I am a free human being with an independent will!” -Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre
7. If you had a million dollars to donate to charity, which charity would you pick?
Either Big Cat Rescue in Florida or the LBD (Lewy Body Dementia) association
8. What series do you enjoy binge watching on Netflix?
The Good Place, funniest show ever!
9. Describe yourself with one word.
10. What’s the biggest obstacle you’ve ever overcome?
When I was younger I had a very severe drowning episode [and] doctors didn’t expect me to survive. It left me in a coma for a week and when I did wake up I couldn’t even walk. For years after I suffered health issue after health issue. But I finally decided to let nothing get in my way and strive to be amazing with the second chance I was given.
11. Would you rather have a billion dollars or be president?
President! A billion dollars would make me happy, but if I was president I could change so many harmful policies and make America a better place!
12. What would you change about yourself if you could?
Probably my appearance, even though it sounds shallow I’ve never been cofident in my body type.
14. Is there anything else you would like the OpinionUP community to know?
That I am always down for a good debate, and I’ll never get rude or ugly about my opinions! (Unless you start it)
Follow @discoursedaisy to engage in great debates!