OpinionUP holds regular debates on current events and trending topics of interest every Tuesday at 8PM EST. Debate winners are selected by their fellow debate participants. Get to know one of the winners of the debate “Prison Reform & Alternatives to Imprisonment”: @jnelms99!
1. What’s your favorite topic to debate?
Abortion. I consider abortion to be the single greatest moral issue in the US today. (Obviously there are others). I am a pro-life individual and like to see what other people believe and how we can work to a goal together in the future.
2. What person do you most admire?
Other than my Dad I would say I most admire Ronald Reagan. Reagan was a brand new kind of President. He declared the federal government to be the problem with its bloated powers and authority controlling states and citizens so far away from them. I’m also aware he didn’t quite fix the economy fully, but he was also amazing at foreign policy. An admirable man, and American!
3. Who was your favorite president?
As stated above, it would be President Reagan.
4. What is your biggest life goal?
For my personal life it would be to have a family and be the best dad, and husband possible, while maintaining my Christian views and strengthening them. That’s always been the goal. Professionally I want to get into politics. I’m currently in the process of running for city council where I live, and my end goal no matter how ridiculous it sounds is to be President one day.
5. What’s your favorite book?
The Bible. No matter what life throws at me, I can read through the Bible and find answers and comfort knowing God is looking out for me.
6. Where’s your home base?
The great state of Indiana, originally from Michigan.
7. If you could travel to anywhere in the world, where would it be?
Italy, it’s a beautiful country and my family has Italian lineage far back.
8. What is your ideal profession?
Politics, before that law.
9. What’s your favorite quote?
“Speak softly and carry a big stick.” -Theodore Roosevelt
10. What do you like to do in your free time?
Read and catch up on politics. I like to be involved and try to decide what I would do in that position, and how I could truly help the everyday American in the future.
11. Do you believe in any conspiracy theories?
Not really, though the one about the CIA having something to do with the assassination of JFK is about as close as I come.
12. Do you have a favorite sports team?
Indianapolis Colts by default.
13. If you had a million dollars to donate to charity, which charity would you pick?
One devoted to Alzheimer’s probably, simply due to seeing it effects firsthand.
14. What series do you enjoy binge watching on Netflix?
West Wing, The Office (best show ever.)
15. If you could only eat one food for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Probably grilled chicken.
16. Describe yourself with one word.
17. What’s the biggest obstacle you’ve ever overcome?
I once gave myself a pretty bad concussion and it slowed down my education badly. Instead of giving up and dropping out I decided to get my HSE and completed that program very quickly.
18. What is your proudest accomplishment?
Hard to decide, becoming a Christian definitely, but also meeting the governor of Indiana.
19. Would you rather have a billion dollars or be president?
President, I don’t need money to be successful or happy. As president I could help people and start a change that would help people for years after I’m gone. I live by one code when thinking about running “I would rather die, having been forgotten, but having helped at least one person, rather than die remembered and powerful, and having helped no one.” – Me
20. What would you change about yourself if you could?
I’d probably say to be able to be a little bit less serious and slightly more easy going.
21. Is there anything else you would like the OpinionUP community to know?
I consider debating opinions to be extremely important. We live in a country divided by being Left or Right, debates are just words of hate being thrown at the other side. We can mend that by having a civil but passionate debate about the issues. On a more personal note I’ve also had the pleasure of visiting 48/50 of our great states. Thank you all for your time!
Follow @jnelms99 to engage in great debates!